It is only with the support of our volunteers that Beacon House may continue to efficiently run house operations and to fulfill its mission.
From registering guests and serving on a committee, to visiting with guests and planting flowers on the grounds, volunteer duties at Beacon house cover a broad spectrum. There are a number of opportunities to become involved, in a number of capacities to fit your time and talents.
More than 300 volunteers have given over 15,000 hours of service – from youth groups to service clubs – since Beacon House’s inception in June 2002. In conjunction with the Board of Directors and staff, volunteers have their hands in near every aspect of Beacon House operations.
Current Job Openings
‘Your Coffee for a Cause’, a Beacon House operated coffee shop, is looking for motivated and available people for a barista position at both UPHS – Marquette and Peninsula Medical locations. Experience in customer service or in the service industry is preferred, but not required. Training will be provided. We are seeking someone available for full shifts, beginning as early as 5:30 a.m.
A perfect candidate should believe in the Beacon House cause, with meticulous attention to customer service. Creating custom orders, and accommodating patrons in a friendly and positive manner is essential.
To apply, please call (906) 250-5651, and leave Amy Runstrom a message to set up a prompt interview.
Barista Job Responsibilities:
Promotes coffee consumption by educating customers; selling coffee and coffee grinding and brewing equipment, accessories, and supplies; preparing and serving a variety of coffee drinks, along with pastries, light snacks, and cookies.
Barista Job Duties:
- Welcomes customers by determining their coffee interests and needs.
- Educates customers by presenting and explaining the coffee drink menu; answering questions.
- Sells coffees and coffee grinding and brewing equipment by explaining differences in coffee beans and coffee preparation machines; demonstrating how brewing equipment operates.
- Prepares and sells coffee drinks by following prescribed recipes and preparation techniques for coffee drinks, such as, expresso, expresso lungo, caffe latte, and cappuccino.
- Generates revenues by attracting new customers; defining new and expanded services and products.
- Maintains inventories by replenishing coffee bean supply; stocking coffee brewing equipment; maintaining supplies, pastries, and cookies for coffee bar.
- Keeps equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Maintains safe and healthy work environment by following organization standards and sanitation regulations.
- Improves quality results by studying, evaluating, and re-designing processes; implementing changes; maintaining and improving the appearance of the store and coffee bar.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading coffee, retail trade, and food service publications; maintaining personal networks.
- Enhances coffee shop reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
Barista Skills and Qualifications:
Listening, Verbal Communication, Customer Focus, Customer Service, Basic Safety, People Skills, Action Oriented, Organization, Selling to Customer Needs, Attendance, Client Relationships